Friday, December 15, 2017

Dear Ann

Dear Ann,

Thank you for your (usual) eloquent and truthful comments in your post, "Dear Predators..."  http://annvoskamp.com/2017/12/dear-predators-who-dont-know-or-maybe-do-that-they-are-predators-and-how-to-not-raise-another-generation-of-predators/

The light of the truth is a welcome thing; exposing darkness and lies. Breaking the power of shame and secrets. Certainly in our world at large there is much attention being given to a wrong that must be brought into the light, men who must live with the accountability of what they have done.

I look at my life and I know that so much of my life and ministry I have been around women and I ask myself about my conduct. How have I behaved? Have these women felt safe in my presence? Do they see me as a protector? I cannot give you their answers but I believe that I have been a safe man for these women to be around. I have not taken what is not mine, not trespassed ... but as a Christian man is there not even another standard or calling?

Do we not serve a Lord who, when speaking the Manifesto of the Kingdom, took "righteous" behavior and changed the game? "You have heard it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to desire her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

We talk about an unwelcome touch, a violation; but violation by means of my look? My thoughts? Can my glance rob the dignity of person?

This takes righteousness to a level never before spoken. My behavior may be commendable but my thoughts? To live in a place of purity in body, mind and spirit. This indeed is a high calling. This is a life that must be transformed .... from the inside out. Cleansing, purifying .. a new nature, a new character, a new person.

Never has my need for a Savior been more evident than when the accountability is not just an external performance but an internal standard. My fidelity is measured not just in terms of what I have done, but what I have thought.

More than anything, in my actions and in my heart, I want to be a trusted person. A person who does not steal with a touch and a person who does not steal with a look.

No comments: