Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Clearing away ....

Recently Sanctuary Inn has purchased property near Mt. Hood in Oregon. The property is beautiful -- trees, open field, river front and some trails down to the river. 

As I have descended (and ascended) the trails several times I have noticed that because of their years in the forest they have become overgrown with vines, covered in dirt and in places are not well-defined. 

Because I enjoy working outside I have slowly started the restoration of these trails. And it is slow going. A few steps a day. Clearing away dirt, ivy, forest debris and trying to excavate the trail and restore it near to its original condition. 

At Sanctuary Inn our goal is to participate with God and His Kingdom workers to grow in wholeness and heal from brokenness. 

Working on these trails is giving me some insights about healing and restoration. 

I can see that as I work on the trail I have to clear away years of debris, dirt and invasive plants. These things (as "foresty" as they are) actually obscure the trail and in some places make the trail unsafe. 

The beginning of renewal and restoration involves this clearing away process. What has "grown over" my heart or what have I allowed in my life that obscures what once was there? What things have I let go or left untended that are creating situations in my life that are unsafe -- for the missionary or his family? 

Also, in my trail excavation, much of the trail looks worse now, but I know it will look better in the future. As I reveal the original steps and the hidden rock borders, I have to cut away a lot of plant life and remove a lot of dirt. This leaves the trail looking better but the sides of the trail look pretty raw. 

Likewise, in dealing with issues of restoration, life can look worse before it looks better. Dealing with issues is very necessary, but the immediate outcome isn't always pleasant to look at. "Excavation of the soul" will leave our heart in a better place, but it might not look that way right now. There will be raw edges, rough places, unfinished business; ultimately it is for soul-health, but it might not be pretty right now. 

And the simple act of doing the work is the beginning. I could leave the trails as they are; untended, pretty good to look at, but actually they are not doing or being everything they were intended. I know that the original owner of our property was a very wealthy Portlander who took great pride in the landscape of their place. It was her retreat, her "Eden". 

By me doing the work to restore the trails, I am honoring the intent of the original owner. I am seeking to bring back the beauty that once was and was intended for the property. 

When we do the hard work of soul-care then we are honoring God our Creator -- the God who originally put us in Eden with the intent that we would reflect Him forever. Now, in our damaged and sinful selves, we have to work hard to honor the original intent of the Creator, the God who desires that people see His image and His glory in us. For us to reveal this glory and for others to see it, we have to be diligent about clearing away all of those things that have obscured what He intended. 

Darkness has fallen ... I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to continue this process of glorious excavation! 


No comments: