Thursday, March 01, 2007

Treasure Chests

Routinely we think of pirates has having treasure chests. Jewels and gold buried and later to be found with the aid of a map marked with an “X” -- I think pirates were not well educated.

Last evening I was watching “Little Women” with my wife and daughter. You may know this great traditional story but I knew almost nothing about it. Anyway, there is a sad time in the story (not to give anything away) and one of the daughters discovers the “treasure chest” of her younger sister. In the chest are articles and stories made up by the girls and preserved by the one sister.

It struck me that though I am not a pirate I have five “treasure chests”. My wife and my four children into whom I have the opportunity and responsibility to "store treasure": People who understand and can possess the riches of a relationship with Christ. People who understand and possess the riches of their family and heritage. People who can understand and possess the riches of their siblings.

These are my treasure chests. I must deposit the treasures. I must cultivate my relationship with them so that they will respect me and love me ... so that they will allow me to share gems and jewels with them and they will treasure it enough to keep it with them forever.

Are my children open to me “depositing gems” into their lives? Have I so injured them (physically or emotionally) that they cannot receive what I desire to give them? Have I caused them to be closed forever to what I know I should do? Will they have any treasures to pass on to their own children? Will they simply be empty chests, devoid of family, heritage, memories and godliness? Worse, will they be filled with the rust of bitterness, hatred and resentment caused by my not doing the things that I must do? What resources am I giving to them?

And the treasure chest of my wife -- I must not overlook the treasures that I impart to her. Do I communicate love and worth to her? Does she hear only criticism? See only unapproving looks? Do I say things that will encourage her? Build her up? Things that impart treasure to her? What "riches" do I impart to her that she can share with others?
Time will tell about the contents of these chests -- the things other people see in their lives, the things that they can share with others. No pirates here ...

No comments: